Churches and religious buildings
Church of San Domenico
For information: Villachiara Town Council – Via Matteotti, 4 – 25030 Villachiara (BS) – Tel. 030/9947112 – Fax. 030/9947312 – Certified e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This small church is now the chapel of the Mellino Mellini Hospital in Orzinuovi, and is commonly referred to as San Domenico, due to the attached Dominican convent. Consecrated in 1500 and dedicated to Santa Maria delle Grazie, or Our Lady of Graces, it survived the suppression of the sacred settlement in the eighteenth century. Inside it houses some works of considerable value such as the altarpieces by Luca Mombello and Grazio Cossali but especially valuable is the sixteenth century Enthroned Madonna and Child and Saints by Alessandro Bonvicino, known as il Moretto. (opening to be requested at the entrance to the Hospital).